Once a month, four or five of us get together and spend a couple hours focusing on Zentangle. We rotate the hosting duties, which really only includes having a space for us to gather and maybe a simple snack and/or beverage. Sometimes a project has been planned in advance by the hostess; other times, we decide at meeting time. A few of us are die-hard Zentangle enthusiasts, while the others partake this one time a month. It’s turned out to be a fun group and something we all look forward to.
Today, I hosted the gathering of four. I got out my “blue box” (Zentangle® kit) and decided that we would each roll the icosahedron one time, giving us four patterns to work with. We drew our own strings, dividing our tiles into four spaces. We then proceeded to use the four patterns and fill in our own tiles. It’s so fun to see how they all turn out … so different and yet we all used the same patterns. Here’s a picture of our finished work.
Tangle patterns used were Chartz, Flukes, Flux & Mist
(Top row: Patty, Susan – Bottom row: Janet, Elaine)
The first Monday of each month, is a UMT Challenge (Use My Tangle), where the challenge is to learn and use a tangle created by one of the Challenge participants. So far, this tangle is “unnamed”, but I’m sure by the time the week is over, it will have its official title. The Use My Tangle this month was created by Laura Harms – The Diva herself!
I really agree with the name of these weekly “undertakings” – CHALLENGE. This was another one for me. Don’t know why it just never looked right. I attempted to do a little shading, but …. gotta keep on practicing! Head over to the Diva’s website and see how creative the other Tanglers were. It’s exciting each week to see how everyone incorporates the different patterns on their tiles.
This week’s challenge was to use the pattern “Camelia” created by Ann Marks. This pattern had me practicing over and over before I could figure out which direction I was supposed to go! Needless to say, I’m not much of a “grid” person, so I had grids drawn all over my practice paper many times, even using a ruler!!! But, in my quest to complete the challenges every week, I was bound and determined that I would get something done. Not sure I succeeded fully in this one, but I’ll just keep practicing until I can get it all put together.
To see how creative others were with this pattern, check out the Diva’s blog for all the entries.
This week’s challenge was to use the new pattern “Rixty”. This pattern took me a while to figure out – kept wanting to put points where they didn’t belong! After trying a few different step-outs provided on-line, I managed to come up with my version – as usual – with an underwater theme. I threw in a couple “Angelfish”, which I discovered I hadn’t been drawing totally the correct way. They looked good to me before, but now I like the improved version! I even tried a little shading …. but that is a whole new realm that I have barely entered into.
If you would like to see the amazing creations done by others using “Rixty”, head over to I Am The Diva’s website and see how beautiful and creative they all are, and so different.